- Patient Care
- Genetic Testing
What is Genetic Testing?
- Using a simple blood test, we examine the patient's DNA for the number of CAG repeats in the patient's HTT gene. This will indicate the patient's Huntington's disease status.
Who Should Consider Genetic Testing?
- There are two categories for Genetic Testing:
- Testing for those already displaying HD symptoms to confirm a diagnosis and
- Pre-Symptomatic Testing
What is Pre-Symptomatic Testing?
- Pre-symptomatic testing is available for individuals who do not have symptoms themselves but have a family history of Huntington's disease.
What is the Genetic Testing Process Like?
- Any patient seeking genetic testing must meet with a genetic counselor to discuss the process, implications, and impact of genetic testing. Genetic testing requires several assessments and considerations before it is performed. This includes a mental health assessment and neurological exam.