PhD Student, Bioengineering
Hometown: Holland, Pennsylvania
B.S. Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Tech
Areas of Interest
Bone regeneration, developmental-mimetic tissue engineering, mechanotransduction. Emily's current research goals are to 1) study the role of mechanical loading on endochondral ossification cell lineage in vitro, and 2) recapitulate long bone development in vivo for bone regeneration.
Emily joined the McKay Orthopaedic Research Laboratory in the fall of 2019 and is working on completing her graduate work in the Department of Bioengineering. Outside of the lab, Emily enjoys cooking, reading, and spending time with family and friends.
- Extracellular matrix compression temporally regulates microvascular angiogenesis
M. A. Ruehle, E. A. Eastburn, S. A. LaBelle, L. Krishnan, J. A. Weiss, J. D. Boerckel, L. B. Wood, R. E. Guldberg, N. J. Willett;
Science Advances, 2020
- Gone Caving: Roles of the Transcriptional Regulators YAP and TAZ in Skeletal Development
Kegelman, Christopher D*; Collins, Joseph M*; Nijsure, Madhura P*; Eastburn, Emily A*; Boerckel, Joel D;
Current Osteoporosis Reports, 2020
- (not peer reviewed) Effects of chondrogenic priming duration on mechanoregulation of engineered cartilage anlagen
Anna M. McDermott*, Emily A. Eastburn*, Daniel J. Kelly, Joel D. Boerckel
Conference Abstracts and Presentations
- Eastburn EA, Ford EM, Kloxin AM. “Designing collagen mimetic materials for studies of cell migration.” Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) Annual Meeting, poster. Atlanta, GA, October 17-20, 2018.
- 2020-2021 T32 Training grant “Training in Musculoskeletal Research," University of Pennsylvania
- 2019-2024 Ashton Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania
- 2018 President’s Undergraduate Research Award, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2017 National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates, University of Delaware
- 2017 Class of 1968 Alumni Scholarship, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2015-2019 Materials Science and Engineering Boeing Scholarship, Georgia Institute of Technology