Information on the NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy
Beginning on January 25, 2023, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) will implement a new data management and sharing policy which will apply to all NIH-supported research that results in the generation of scientific data, regardless of funding mechanism.
While information continues to evolve, two main components of the policy include:
- A detailed plan for managing and sharing data in a Data Management and Sharing Plan
- An expectation that NIH-funded researchers will embrace good data stewardship with the goals of advancing rigorous and reproducible research and promoting public trust in scientific endeavors
Working closely with our University partners, including the Penn Libraries, the Institute for Biomedical Informatics, the Office of Research Services as well as our own PSOM Office of Research Support Services, a number of resources are being curated and created to help support the new requirements and how to comply with them. In addition to this comprehensive guide from the Library -- whose data specialists are also available for consultations on the new policy -- we are working to develop internal templates and guidance for our research community.
Several helpful links follow below, including information on an NIH webinar scheduled for tomorrow. We will continue to keep you updated on this important policy and resources to support the new plans.
Jon Epstein, MD
EVD | CSO
- Implementation Details for the NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy – official NIH information that gives further details on implementation and assessment.
- FAQs for the NIH Policy for Data Management and Sharing
- Ten Simple Rules for Maximizing the Recommendations of NIH Data Management and Sharing Plan – please note that this reflects the views of the authors, not the official views of the NIH.
- Council On Governmental Relation’s NIH Data Management and Sharing Resource Page
- Two upcoming webinars:
- Understanding the New NIH Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Policy will be held on Thursday, August 11, 2022, from 1:30 – 3:00 PM ET and focus on DMS policy expectations, the applicability of the policy, how to prepare a DMS Plan, and considerations for responsible data sharing.
- Diving Deeper into the New NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy will take place Thursday, September 22, 2022, from 1:30 – 3:00 PM ET and dive deeper into specific topics and questions we’ve heard from the community, such as privacy protections for sharing data from human participants.
Registration is required for each webinar. To learn more about the webinar series, how to register, and how to submit questions about the DMS Policy, please visit the webinar series website. The webinars will also be archived for future viewing.