Revised Access Policy during the Pandemic
Training and Consultations
The Histology Core is pleased to offer virtual training for self-service users. Virtual training is available for:
- Paraffin Microtome – Basic Operation and Safety
- Cryostat Microtome – Basic Operation and Safety
- Cryofilm Sectioning
If you are interested in receiving training, please email the Core Technical Director, Dr Waixing Tang. He will email you a link to the training video. After watching the video, email Dr Tang to arrange a phone call to review key training aspects, including safety. He will then provide you with calendar access so you can sign up and use the equipment. Note that standard training fees still apply.
Full Service Histology
Please fill in the PROJECT REQUEST FORM. Ensure all required fields are completed. Project Description should include a 1-2 sentence description of the scientific goals of the project, the tissue type and species. Email the electronic copy to Dr Smith or Dr Qin, and bring your samples along with the completed request form to the core.
For tissue processing requests only, leave the paper copy and samples on top of the tissue processor in the hallway, and notify Keerthana Iyer. Please DO NOT leave samples with no name or paperwork as this will delay processing. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions
Self Service Histology
Please be aware that these policies will be strictly enforced. Any violations will result in access to the core being terminated.
- Standard PPE and safety rules must be followed at all times.
- A lab coat and gloves must be worn at all times. We only provide gloves. Users must provide their own lab coat
- Users who have received training on specific equipment will be provided access to Google Calendars to make reservations
- For McKay lab users, reservations should use the following format:
- PI Initials:PennKey:cell phone number
- For non-McKay users, reservations should use the following format:
- PI Name:User name:cell phone number
As a reminder, the equipment locations are as follows:
- Bay 344B: Cryostat I (LEICA), Tissue Embedding Center, Paraffin Microtome B, Plastic Microtome
- Bay 345B: Cryostat II (Thermo),
- Bay 364B: Cryostat III (Thermo), Paraffin Microtome A (Thermo), Paraffin Microtome D (Leica)
- Room 342A: Eclipse 90i Microscope
Additional Action Items for Non-Penn Users
- Complete new mandatory EHRS safety training. Specifically, users must register with EHRS at this site. Once registered, you will be directed to an EHRS webpage for training. When finished, you will be able to download a training certificate and will be forwarded directly to a webform to notify EHRS of completion. You will receive an email confirmation of your completed training. When completing the form, please enter the following information in the relevant fields:
- Principal Investigator/Program Director: Lachlan Smith and Ling Qin
- Department/Program: Penn Center for Musculoskeletal Disorders Histology Core
- Building Location: Stemmler Hall Room 350
- Supervisor: Waixing Tang