- About the Center
- Treatment at the CTSA
- About the Disorders We Treat
- Training Opportunities
- Professional Opportunities
- PE Certification Program
- Find a PE Consultant
- Find a PE Therapist
- Other Resources
- Contact Us
- Support Our Work
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Join Us on Facebook
Consultant Workshop in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
Offered annually in October (next workshop dates to be determined)
Co-sponsored by: Philadelphia Behavior Therapy Association
Who may attend: Certified PE therapists (completed the 4-day Intensive Workshop in Prolonged Exposure Therapy with a certified PE trainer, completed at least 2 full PE cases under the supervision of a certified PE supervisor, and additionally completed at least 5 full PE cases independently)
Times: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (8:30 am for check-in and continental breakfast)
Cost: $3,000.00 per person. This fee covers the cost of workshop and supporting materials (workshop binder which includes all slide handouts and materials)
Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety
Workshop Description: Training will begin with a review of the theory and empirical work underlying PE. This will be followed by brief overview of PE therapy procedures and assessment methods. The remainder of the workshop will focus on the implementation of PE procedures and training in PE consultation methods. This will include 1) review of the essential elements of treatment rationales and PE sessions; 2) following the guidelines provided in the PE Consultant Manual to evaluate therapists’ adherence and competence in providing PE therapy; and 3) practicing rating PE sessions and providing feedback to therapists. Participants will be provided with a workshop binder that includes workshop slides, adherence rating scales, and the PE Consultant Manual.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Discuss theoretical and empirical background of PE
- Review PE therapy procedures with illustrations from cases treated by CTSA experts
- Summarize supervision methods and formats
- Provide corrective feedback on the conduct of PE rationales, using cases treated by novices
- Provide corrective feedback on the conduct of in-vivo and imaginal exposure techniques
- Provide feedback on the effective management of over- and under-engagement in imaginal exposure
- Provide corrective feedback on post-exposure processing of guilt, shame, and anger
- Evaluate PE sessions using adherence and competence rating scales
Continuing Education Credit:
THE PHILADELPHIA BEHAVIOR THERAPY ASSOCIATION (PBTA) IS APPROVED BY THE AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION TO SPONSOR CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR PSYCHOLOGISTS. PBTA MAINTAINS RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PROGRAM AND ITS CONTENT. THIS PRESENTATION PROVIDES THIRTY (30) HOURS OF CE CREDITS FOR PSYCHOLOGISTS.
PBTA IS ALSO AN AUTHORIZED PROVIDER FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS FOR PROFESSIONAL COUNSELORS, MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPISTS, AND CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKERS LICENSED IN THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA - THIS PROGRAM PROVIDES TWENTY-FOUR (24) HOURS OF CE CREDITS.
In order to receive continuing education credits, participants must:
If all of these requirements are met, you will receive a continuing education certificate at the end of the workshop.
Please find workshop information and the registration form here.
Applications are due 2 weeks before the start of the workshop. Applicants will be notified of acceptance within one week of receipt of their application. Please do not make travel or other arrangements until your application is accepted.
Instructions for Submitting Application
Applications can be submitted to:
Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety
Attn: Sandy Capaldi, Psy.D.
University of Pennsylvania
3535 Market Street, Suite 600 North
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3309
Via fax to: (215) 746-3311, Attn: Sandy Capaldi
Email (as a Microsoft Word or PDF attachment): Dr. Sandy Capaldi, firstname.lastname@example.org
You will receive a confirmation via email if your application is accepted. Please do not make travel or other arrangements until your registration is confirmed. Note that we can only reserve your space when you provide payment information or a check.
- Full payment of $3,000 is due upon application acceptance.
- Workshop fees are non-refundable. Please note that payments will not be processed until after this date.
- We accept checks, money orders, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa. Unfortunately, we do not accept American Express.
- If paying by check, please make check or money order payable to “CPUP (Clinical Practices of the University of Pennsylvania)”
Click for more information about Prolonged Exposure Therapy
Back to Top