- About the Center
- Treatment at the CTSA
- About the Disorders We Treat
- Telehealth Services
- Training Opportunities
- Recorded Trainings
- Cognitive Approaches for Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Interoceptive Exposures for Anxiety Disorders
- Evidence-Based Assessment of PTSD
- Inhibitory Learning
- ARFID: An Introduction to An Exposure-Based Treatment for Picky Eating
- Intensive Workshop in Ex/RP
- Ex/RP for Pediatric OCD
- Habit Reversal Training for Trichotillomania and Excoriation
- Addressing Body Image in Treatment: Differentiating Between EDs, BDD, and OCD
- EX/RP Group Consultations via Zoom
- Evidence-Based Treatment for Panic Disorder
- Intensive Workshop in PE
- PE for Adolescents
- Online PE Group Consultations
- Suicide Risk Assessment in Anxiety
- PE Consultant Workshop
- Professional Opportunities
- PE Certification Program
- Find a PE Consultant
- Find a PE Therapist
- Medical Records
- Other Resources
- Contact Us
- Support Our Work
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Join Us on Facebook
Evidence-Based Treatment for Panic Disorder
Date: Friday, October 8, 2021
Time: 9:00am to 5:00pm EST
Cost: $450.00 per person
Location: Zoom (you will be sent an invitation with instructions prior to the workshop)
Cognitive-Behavior Therapy has been empirically shown to be the recommended therapy for Panic Disorder. Meta-analyses have found very large effect sizes with 50-70% of clients within normative functioning and 70-80% panic-free. Yet few clients receive this robust treatment.
This workshop will focus on the practical application of Cognitive-Behavior Therapy for Panic Disorder. In this webinar, attendees will learn to diagnose and assess panic disorder as well as the techniques that are effective in reducing (and even eliminating) the symptoms.
CE Learning Objectives
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Compare Panic Disorder vs. panic attacks from other disorders
- Describe the Fight or Flight Response and its relationship to Panic Disorder
- Explain how to monitor panic disorder symptoms to clients
- Demonstrate how to counter Probability Overestimation
- Demonstrate how to counter Catastrophizing
- Design Interoceptive Exposures for Panic Disorder
- Design In Vivo Exposures for Panic Disorder
About the Presenters
Elizabeth Turk-Karan, Ph.D., is the Director of Practicum and Internship Training at the CTSA. She received her bachelor's degree from the University of Pennsylvania, and her M.S. and Ph.D. from Rutgers University in 1993. After several years in private practice, she returned to the CTSA in order to be more involved in disseminating empirically-supported anxiety treatments. Dr. Turk-Karan has worked as an assessor and therapist on research studies of Panic Disorder, Social Phobia, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder at the University of Pennsylvania, the Medical College of Pennsylvania/EPPI, and the University of Pittsburgh. She is a licensed clinical psychologist who has a variety of clinical experiences with patient populations ranging from children, adolescents, and adults. Dr. Turk-Karan specializes in Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PE) for PTSD, Exposure and Response Prevention (EX/RP) for OCD, and cognitive-behavioral treatment for social anxiety, panic disorder, specific phobias, and generalized anxiety.
This presentation is intended for mental health professionals, researchers, and graduate students. The instructional level of this presentation is intermediate.
THE PHILADELPHIA BEHAVIOR THERAPY ASSOCIATION (PBTA) IS APPROVED BY THE AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION TO SPONSOR CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR PSYCHOLOGISTS. PBTA MAINTAINS RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PROGRAM AND ITS CONTENT. THIS PRESENTATION PROVIDES SIX AND A HALF (6.5) HOURS OF CE CREDITS FOR PSYCHOLOGISTS.
PBTA IS ALSO AN AUTHORIZED PROVIDER FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS FOR PROFESSIONAL COUNSELORS, MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPISTS, AND CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKERS LICENSED IN THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA - THIS PROGRAM PROVIDES SIX AND A HALF (6.5) HOURS OF CE CREDITS.
In order to receive continuing education credits, participants must:
- attend each hour of the workshop (no late arrivals or early departures)
- complete a course evaluation
If both of these requirements are met, you will receive a continuing education certificate after the conclusion of the workshop.
Instructions for Submitting Application
Please find the registration form here.
Applications can be submitted via email as a Microsoft Word or PDF attachment to: email@example.com
Applicants will be notified of acceptance within one week of receipt of their application. Please do not make travel or other arrangements until your application is accepted.
- Workshop fees are non-refundable after the application due date. Please note that payments will not be processed until after the application due date.
- We can only accept credit card payments at this time (Discover, MasterCard, and Visa). Unfortunately, we do not accept American Express.
Webinar workshop requirements:
- You must have utilities, internet service, phone service, and an appropriately private location at your home or office in order to ensure HIPAA compliance.
- The private location should be free of noise and distractions. (If you are the parent of young children, appropriate child care arrangements must be in place.)
- You must agree to attend each hour of the video conference and agree to use video of yourself during the video conference in order to track attendance.
- You must agree not to copy or distribute workshop materials provided to you in the course of the workshop.
- Since authentic patient audio/video may be utilized during the training, you must agree to abide by all applicable rules of confidentiality and HIPAA compliance, including but not limited to no audio or video-recording of the workshop in any form.
You will be asked to affirm the previous conditions and your agreement to them prior to the commencement of the workshop.
Back to Top