- About the Center
- Treatment at the CTSA
- About the Disorders We Treat
- Training Opportunities
- Professional Opportunities
- PE Certification Program
- Find a PE Consultant
- Find a PE Therapist
- Other Resources
- Contact Us
- Support Our Work
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Join Us on Facebook
Intensive Workshop in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD (Oct. 8-11, 2018)
Intensive Workshop in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
October 8-11, 2018
Co-sponsored by: Philadelphia Behavior Therapy Association
Who may attend: Licensed mental health professionals or those working under a licensed mental health professional.
Dates: Monday, October 8, 2018 – Thursday, October 11, 2018
Times: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday-Wednesday (8:30 am for check-in and continental breakfast)
9:00 am to 4:00 pm Thursday (8:30 am for check-in and continental breakfast)
Cost: $1,500.00 per person. This fee covers the cost of workshop and supporting materials (Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD: Emotional Processing of Traumatic Experiences [Foa, Hembree, & Rothbaum, 2007], Reclaiming Your Life from a Traumatic Experience: Workbook [Rothbaum, Foa, & Hembree, 2007], and a workshop binder which includes all slide handouts and materials)
Community Behavioral Health
Workshop Description: Faculty from the Center for the Treatment & Study of Anxiety will provide intensive instruction in the use of Prolonged Exposure Therapy for survivors of trauma, covering the basics of all components of PE and how to modify PE procedures in order to tailor the treatment to the client’s response to exposure. Maintaining focus on treatment of PTSD while maintaining flexibility in following the manual will be emphasized. Lecture, discussion, videotaped therapy sessions, and participant role plays with feedback from faculty trainers are used to accomplish the goals of the workshop.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe the diagnosis and psychopathology of PTSD
- Discuss emotional processing theory as it relates to Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- Discuss empirically-supported, psychotherapeutic treatments for chronic PTSD and the comparative efficacy of these treatment approaches
- Explain how clients can be helped to emotionally engage in and process traumatic memories, with the aim of reducing trauma-related symptoms and difficulties
- Implement psychoeducational treatment components of Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- Construct an in-vivo exposure hierarchy that includes a range of situations that safely and effectively promote learning while expanding the client’s world.
- Implement in-vivo exposure to safe but avoided trauma reminders with patients
- Help patients choose an appropriate index trauma to focus on in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- Conduct imaginal exposure to memories of traumatic events
- Choose hot spots with patients and implement hot spots procedures
- Identify and address avoidance in PE sessions
- Identify and address over- and under-engagement in imaginal exposure
Continuing Education Credit:
THE PHILADELPHIA BEHAVIOR THERAPY ASSOCIATION (PBTA) IS APPROVED BY THE AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION TO SPONSOR CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR PSYCHOLOGISTS. PBTA MAINTAINS RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PROGRAM AND ITS CONTENT. THIS PRESENTATION PROVIDES TWENTY-FOUR (24) HOURS OF CE CREDITS FOR PSYCHOLOGISTS.
PBTA IS ALSO AN AUTHORIZED PROVIDER FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS FOR PROFESSIONAL COUNSELORS, MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPISTS, AND CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKERS LICENSED IN THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA - THIS PROGRAM PROVIDES TWENTY-FOUR (24) HOURS OF CE CREDITS.
In order to receive continuing education credits, participants must:
If all of these requirements are met, you will receive a continuing education certificate at the end of the workshop.
Click here to see a sample agenda for the workshop.
Where to Stay
There are several options for local housing. For more information click here.
Please find workshop information and the registration form here.
Applications are due October 1, 2018. Applicants will be notified of acceptance within one week of receipt of their application. Please do not make travel or other arrangements until your application is accepted.
Instructions for Submitting Application
Applications can be submitted to:
Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety
Attn: Sandy Capaldi, Psy.D.
University of Pennsylvania
3535 Market Street, Suite 600 North
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3309
Via fax to: (215) 746-3311, Attn: Sandy Capaldi
Email (as a Microsoft Word or PDF attachment): Dr. Sandy Capaldi, firstname.lastname@example.org
You will receive a confirmation via email if your application is accepted. Please do not make travel or other arrangements until your registration is confirmed. Note that we can only reserve your space when you provide payment information or a check.
- Full payment of $1500 is due upon application acceptance.
- Workshop fees are non-refundable. Please note that payments will not be processed until after this date.
- We accept checks, money orders, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa. Unfortunately, we do not accept American Express.
- If paying by check, please make check or money order payable to “CPUP (Clinical Practices of the University of Pennsylvania)”
Click for more information about Prolonged Exposure Therapy
Back to Top