- About the Center
- Treatment at the CTSA
- About the Disorders We Treat
- Telehealth Services
- Training Opportunities
- Recorded Trainings
- Cognitive Approaches for Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Interoceptive Exposures for Anxiety Disorders
- Evidence-Based Assessment of PTSD
- Inhibitory Learning
- ARFID: An Introduction to An Exposure-Based Treatment for Picky Eating
- Intensive Workshop in Ex/RP
- Ex/RP for Pediatric OCD
- Habit Reversal Training for Trichotillomania and Excoriation
- Addressing Body Image in Treatment: Differentiating Between EDs, BDD, and OCD
- EX/RP Group Consultations via Zoom
- Evidence-Based Treatment for Panic Disorder
- Intensive Workshop in PE
- PE for Adolescents
- Online PE Group Consultations
- Suicide Risk Assessment in Anxiety
- PE Consultant Workshop
- Professional Opportunities
- PE Certification Program
- Find a PE Consultant
- Find a PE Therapist
- Medical Records
- Other Resources
- Contact Us
- Support Our Work
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Join Us on Facebook
Intensive Workshop in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Co-sponsored by: Philadelphia Behavior Therapy Association
Who may attend: Licensed mental health professionals or those working under a licensed mental health professional. Because of the advanced nature of this workshop and the limited enrollment, participants should have prior experience treating trauma survivors.
Dates: Monday, October 11, 2021 – Thursday, October 14, 2021
Times: 9:00am to 5:00pm EST Monday-Wednesday
9:00am to 4:00pm EST Thursday
Cost: $1500.00 USD per person. This fee covers the cost of workshop and supporting materials, which will include all slide handouts and assessment materials to be emailed to you prior to the workshop
Workshop Location: Zoom video conferencing platform (you will be sent an invitation with instructions prior to the workshop)
Workshop Description: Dr. Edna Foa, Dr. Sandy Capaldi, and select CTSA faculty will provide intensive instruction in the use of Prolonged Exposure Therapy for survivors of trauma, covering the basics of all components of PE and how to modify PE procedures in order to tailor the treatment to the client’s response to exposure. Maintaining focus on treatment of PTSD while maintaining flexibility in following the manual will be emphasized. Lecture, discussion, videotaped therapy sessions, and participant role plays with feedback from faculty trainers are used to accomplish the goals of the workshop.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe the diagnosis and psychopathology of PTSD
- Discuss emotional processing theory as it relates to Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- Discuss empirically-supported, psychotherapeutic treatments for chronic PTSD and the comparative efficacy of these treatment approaches
- Explain how clients can be helped to emotionally engage in and process traumatic memories, with the aim of reducing trauma-related symptoms and difficulties
- Implement psychoeducational treatment components of Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- Construct an in-vivo exposure hierarchy that includes a range of situations that safely and effectively promote learning while expanding the client’s world.
- Implement in-vivo exposure to safe but avoided trauma reminders with patients
- Help patients choose an appropriate index trauma to focus on in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- Conduct imaginal exposure to memories of traumatic events
- Choose hot spots with patients and implement hot spots procedures
- Identify and address avoidance in PE sessions
- Identify and address over- and under-engagement in imaginal exposure
Webinar workshop requirements:
- You must have utilities, internet service, phone service, and an appropriately private location at your home or office in order to ensure HIPAA compliance.
- The private location should be free of noise and distractions. (If you are the parent of young children, appropriate child care arrangements must be in place.)
- You must agree to attend each hour of the video conference and agree to use video of yourself during the video conference in order to track attendance.
- You must purchase the paperback version of the PE Therapist Guide and Patient Workbook (available in many places but here are links to purchase on Amazon):
- You must agree not to copy or distribute workshop materials provided to you in the course of the workshop.
- Since authentic patient videos are utilized during the training, you must agree to abide by all applicable rules of confidentiality and HIPAA compliance, including but not limited to no audio or video-recording of the workshop in any form.
You will be asked to affirm the previous conditions and your agreement to them prior to the commencement of the workshop.
Applications are due October 3, 2021 and must be completed in full. Applicants will be notified of acceptance within one week of receipt of their application. Please do not make travel or other arrangements until your application is accepted.
If you are interested in and eligible for Continuing Education credits, read below:
THE PHILADELPHIA BEHAVIOR THERAPY ASSOCIATION (PBTA) IS APPROVED BY THE AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION TO SPONSOR CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR PSYCHOLOGISTS. PBTA MAINTAINS RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PROGRAM AND ITS CONTENT. THIS PRESENTATION PROVIDES TWENTY-FOUR (24) HOURS OF CE CREDITS FOR PSYCHOLOGISTS.
PBTA IS ALSO AN AUTHORIZED PROVIDER FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS FOR PROFESSIONAL COUNSELORS, MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPISTS, AND CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKERS LICENSED IN THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA - THIS PROGRAM PROVIDES TWENTY-FOUR (24) HOURS OF CE CREDITS.
In order to receive continuing education credits, participants must:
- attend each hour of the workshop (no late arrivals or early departures)
- complete a post-test and course evaluation
If both of these requirements are met, you will receive a continuing education certificate after the conclusion of the workshop.
Instructions for Submitting Application
Applications can only be submitted via email at this time as a Microsoft Word or PDF attachment to:
Dr. Sandy Capaldi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You will receive a confirmation via email if your application is accepted. Note that we can only reserve your space when you provide payment information .
- Workshop fees are non-refundable after the application due date. Please note that payments will not be processed until after the application due date.
- We can only accept credit card payments at this time (Discover, MasterCard, and Visa). Unfortunately, we do not accept American Express.
Click for more information about Prolonged Exposure Therapy
Back to Top