Holidays - Clinical Students
Updated August 16, 2021
Students are allotted the following holidays:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Midnight to 5 a.m. the next day*
- Memorial Day - Midnight to 5 a.m. the next day*
- Juneteenth - Midnight to 5 a.m. the next day*
- July 4th - Midnight to 5 a.m. the next day*
- Labor Day - Midnight to 5 a.m. the next day*
- Thanksgiving - 5 p.m. Wednesday to 5 a.m. Monday
- Winter and Summer Breaks - See the academic calendar for details
* The weekend is not necessarily included.
Other Holiday Circumstances: The Perelman School of Medicine recognizes that there are other holidays, both religious and secular, that are important to some individuals and groups. Clerkship students who wish to observe these holidays may use a personal-day excused absence to request time off. Students should request the day(s) off in accordance with the guidelines outlined in the Core 2 Clerkships Absence and Attendance Policy
This general policy does not apply to sub-internships (where the student substitutes for an intern on a patient care team) or externships (where the student functions as an additional intern on a patient care team). In these situations, coverage is dictated by patient care needs, and holiday observances are the prerogative of the department. Students are advised to obtain departmental holiday policies prior to starting these rotations and to discuss any special needs with the course director as far in advance as possible.