A MD student can take University registered courses, with no additional tuition charges, according to the following guidelines:
- The number of courses is limited to three between matriculation and graduation
- The course can be taken anywhere in the University during Fall or Spring when the student is paying MD tuition (not just fees only)
- Only Perelman School of Medicine (Bioethics, Epi, MSHP, MTR, Public Health) courses or Law numbered course may be taken during the summer term as long as MD tuition is paid in the spring and fall semesters preceding and following the summer term. The number of courses is limited to one and arrangements need to be made with Helene Weinberg.
- All add and drop deadlines are adhered to - check the university calendar for deadlines: http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/3yearcal.html
- All course requirements are successfully completed and a passing grade is earned (e.g. students cannot audit a class)
Failure to comply with any of these guidelines may result in a student being responsible for course tuition. The tuition charge for one credit is typically between $5,000 to $7,000 and varies by program/school with courses in Clinical Epidemiology or Biostatistics costing the most.
The University's course timetable can be found by going to http://www.upenn.edu/registrar/.
If a course needs permission, please look for the department's website and request that a permit be put into SRS, the University’s registration system.
Once you've decided on a course (and have permission if needed), please let Helene Weinberg know so she can add the registration.
This policy is reviewed annually and subject to change.