The most recent issue of the CAMB Student Newsletter was published August 2019!
Click on the image to visit the Newsletter blog for current and past issues.
Congratulations! Recent CAMB Awards
- Congratulations to Derek Liberti (DSRB, Morrisey lab) for winning the Jon Samuel Kanefield Prize for Cystic Fibrosis Research which recognizes his forthcoming paper in Developmental Biology entitled, “Dnmt1 is required for proximal-distal patterning of the lung endoderm and for restraining alveolar type 2 cell fate.”
- Congratulations to CAMB Faculty Dr. Arjun Raj, recipient of the NIH Director's Transformative Research Award! Click here to learn more Dr. Raj's project.
- CAMB 2019 Symposium Poster Prize Winners: Zeyu Chen (CB, Wherry lab); Alex Salomon (CPM, Prosser lab); Nick Holdreith (DSRB, Tong lab); Monica Jimenez (G&E, Henao-Mejia lab); Sangya Agarwal (GTV, June lab); Jayesh Tandel (MVP, Striepen lab)
- Congratulations to Jeremy Grevet (G&E, alum of the Blobel lab) for winning the 2019 Kaushal Family Award in Genetics, which recognizes excellence in genetic research shown by a notable publication in their field
- CAMB student Natasha Lopes Fisher (MVP, Shin lab) has been selected for the prestigious 2019 HHMI Gilliam Graduate Fellowship award
- Kelsey Kaeding (G&E, Zaret lab) and Danielle Murashige (CPM, Arany lab) are the CAMB recipients of the 2019 Blavatnik Family Fellowship in Biomedical Research
- Dr. Camille Syrett (DSRB, recent alum of the Anguera lab) and Dr. Enrique Lin Shiao (recent BMB graduate group alum) were both awarded the 2019 Tom Kadesch Prize in Genetic Research
- CAMB Students Jen Aleman (G&E, Capelson lab) and Jaimarie Sostre (CB, Titchenell lab) won first and second place for their posters at the SACNAS Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting.
- The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research awarded a grant of $12 million to establish The Mark Foundation Center for Immunotherapy, Immune Signaling, and Radiation at the University of Pennsylvania, which will be led by CAMB Faculty Dr. Andy Minn
- Congratulations to the two CAMB 2019 Saul Winegrad Award winners for outstanding thesis; Dr. Robert Dilley (CB, recent alum of the Greenberg lab) and Dr. Yong Hoon Kim (G&E, recent alum of the Lazar lab)!
- CAMB Faculty Dr. John Seykora won the Dean’s Award for Excellence in Basic Science Teaching. John has been an outstanding teacher of graduate and medical students through this career at Penn, and this recognition of his contributions is so well deserved.
- Congratulations to CAMB Students honored by the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)! Nina Montoya (MVP, St. Geme lab) and Jane Huang (CB, Simon lab) received the NSF fellowship for graduate research. Lavinia Gonzalez (MVP, Lopez lab), Katie Strelau (MVP, Striepen lab), Dan Ju (G&E, Mathieson and Tiskoff labs) received honorable mention.
- Congratulations CAMB Faculty Dr. Nancy Speck, a newly elected member of the National Academy of Sciences
- Congratulations to CAMB Student Arwa Abbas (MVP, Bushman and Collman labs) on winning the 2019 Nigel Fraser Prize in Microbiology.
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Ishmail Abdus-Saboor was named Mitchell J. Blutt and Margo Krody Blutt Presidential Assistant Professor of Biology
- Our graduate group chair, and CAMB Faculty, Dr. Dan Kessler received the 2019 Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Jim Wilson was awarded a $13 Million Gene Therapy Resource Program (GTRP) contract for the third consecutive five-year period for Penn’s Gene Therapy Vector Core
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Greg Bashaw has received the Jane M. Glick Graduate Student Teaching Award. Dr. Bashaw's commitment to educating and training the next generation of scientists exemplifies the type of scientist and educator that Jane Glick represented.
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Doris Wagner was named a 2019 Fellow of the American Society of Plant Biologists
- CAMB Student Jennifer Aleman (G&E, Capelson lab) was awarded a pre-doctoral F31 scholarship from NIH/NIGMS for her project "The role of nuclear pore component Megator in gene expression and dosage compensation"
- The ALS Association awarded CAMB alum Dr. Aaron Gitler the 2019 Sheila Essey Award
- Three CAMB Faculty recieved research awards at the Dermatology Foundation's annual meeting. Drs. Brian Capell and Todd Ridky received the Stiefel Scholar Award in Skin Cancer. Dr. Elizabeth Grice recieved the Sun Pharma Research Award.
- Congratulations to CAMB Student, and soon-to-be alum, Valeria Reyes Ruiz (MVP, Shin lab) on receiving the Vanderbilt Academic Pathways Postdoctoral Fellowship
Congratulations to CAMB Faculty Drs. Jean Bennett and Katherine High on being named winners of the Sanford Health Lorraine Cross Award. Their collaboration led to the first ever FDA approval of a gene therapy treatment for a genetic disease.
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Kiran Musunuru will receive the American Philosophical Society's 2018 Judson Daland Prize for Achievement in Patient-oriented Clinical Research
- Congratulations to Camille Syrett (DSRB, Anguera lab) for winning a poster award at the 2018 Penn Epigenetics retreat
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Matthew Kayser was awarded the NIH Director's New Innovator Award
- CAMB 2018 Symposium Poster Prize Winners: Salina Yuan (CB, Stanger lab); Bailey Bauman (CPM, Dunaief lab); Chris Greer (DSRB, Stedman lab); Niambi Brewer (G&E, Shore lab); Leon Morales (GTV, Stedman & Bennett labs); Christin Herrmann (MVP, Weitzman lab)
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Christoph Thaiss was presented the 2018 Agilent Early Career Professor Award
- Kevin Alicea-Torres (GTV, Gabrilovich lab) was a co-receiptant of the Rugart Family Award for a Predoc with the best Research-in-Progress presentation
- The Endocrine Society honored CAMB Faculty Dr. Patrick Seale with the Richard Weitzman Outstanding Early Career Investigator Award
- Kamen Simeonov (DSRB, Lengner lab) and Jinyang Li (CB, Stanger lab) were recipients of the Blavatnik Family Fellowship
- Niambi Brewer (G&E, Shore lab) was a Young Investigator Award recipient at the ASBMR 2018 annual meeting
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Iain Mathieson received a 2018 Charles E. Kaufman Award for New Investigators
- Dr. Yong Hoon Kim (G&E, recent alum of the Lazar lab, current MD student) won the 2018 Kaushal Family Award in Genetics
- Dr. Katherine Palozola (G&E, recent alum of the Zaret lab) was awarded the 2018 Tom Kadesch Prize in Genetic Research
- Katherine Quiroz (GTV, Rader lab) was awarded the F31 Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral Fellowships to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research
- Eliabet Bjanes (MVP, Brodsky lab) won the FEBS Letters poster prize at the Gordon Research Conference
- Francesca Tuazon (DSRB, Mullins lab) won first place at the 2018 Perelman School of Medicine’s “Art in Science” competition in the Graduate Student Category
- PICI co-director and CAMB Faculty Dr. E. John Wherry was appointed the new chair of the department of Systems Pharmacology and Translational Therapeutics in Penn Medicine
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Montserrat Anguera was awarded the The Lupus Research Program Award
- CAMB Faculty Dr. James Lok was awarded the 2018 V’20 laboratory Teaching Award - Vet Medicine Teaching
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Daniel Rader received the National Distinguished Investigator Award for Patient-Oriented Research
- Dr. Matthew Emmett (DSRB, recent alum of the Lazar lab, current MD student) was awarded the 2018 Saul Winegrad Award for Outstanding Dissertation
- Dr. Maryam Yousefi (DSRB, recent alum of the Lengner lab) was awarded the 2018 Saul Winegrad Award for Outstanding Dissertation
- Kevin Alicea-Torres (GTV, Gabrilovich lab) was co-winner of the Dr. Monica H.M. Shander Memorial Fellowship Award for 2017
- CAMB 2017 Symposium Poster Prize Winners: Caiyue Xu (CB, Berger lab); Katelyn Miller (CPM, Rall lab); Ben Tajer (DSRB, Mullins lab); Mischa Li (G&E, Greenberg lab); Scott Dooley (GTV, Bennett lab); Stephen Goldstein (MVP, Weiss lab)
- Steven Zhao (CB, Wellen lab) was awarded a F99/K00 Individual Predoctoral to Postdoctoral Fellow Transition Award from NCI
- Camille Syrett (DSRB, Anguera lab) was awarded a NIH-NRSA fellowship from NIGMS
- CAMB Faculty Dr. Eric Joyce received a 2017 Charles E. Kaufman Award for New Investigators