The purpose of this program is to make certain that all new faculty members receive standardized information regarding Perelman School of Medicine and University policies, processes, and resources associated with their faculty appointment. The Office of Academic Affairs relies on each department’s faculty coordinator to communicate this standardized information, and expects Department Chairs and Division Chiefs to ensure that all new faculty members accept a meeting with the department’s faculty coordinator as soon as possible after Provost approval of the appointment.
- All newly appointed Assistant Professors on the AC, Clinician Educator, Research and Tenure tracks are required to participate in a Welcome Meeting. Welcome Meetings introduce faculty to:
- Their personal academic review schedule for reappointment and promotion
- The importance of FEDS for maintaining their CV
- Requirements of the Onboarding for Teaching Program
- Expectations for maintaining records of teaching activities
- Review of career development and mentoring resources available on this website
- Welcome Meeting Checklist (spreadsheet). Template of the checklist to use at the welcome meeting with new faculty.
- Talking Points. Full description of topics to be covered during the welcome meeting for new faculty.
- Talking Points - Short Form. Outline of topics to be covered during the welcome meeting for new faculty.
- Welcome Meeting Follow-Up Email. (template). Template of an email to be sent to new faculty following the welcome meeting.
- Department Contact List Template. (template) Faculty Coordinators should complete this template using department specific contact information and provide it to the faculty member.
- Academic Review Schedules: (template/sample) An Academic Review Schedule should be provided to all new assistant rank faculty members. Templates are provided below. FCs should use the sample information provided in the template to help them prepare a customized schedule for each new faculty member.